Thursday, September 20, 2007

You know you wanna.


Here's the back, and here's a shot of me as I was dressed riding Chris' single-speed to the subway station this morning:Chris has noted that I seem to be taking over this bicycle, but I let him know that I wouldn't consider it "mine" until I had lowered the seat about two inches. Easily done!

In any case, Mermaid is fantastic, and I anticipate wearing it all the time, as a jacket now and as a sweater under a jacket when it gets colder. What did I learn from making it?

Even tension in a small gauge in garter stitch will create something that will astonish your coworkers, weaving teacher, and random people at bars. Very few people will believe that you made it, and everyone will look at you differently after you insist that you did and they look more closely... and they realize that they've seen you knitting portions of this at work/in the bar for months.

Also, the sleeves and body both grow several inches in length with a soak and moderate blocking. Really, about 3 inches.

Oh, remember this?I'm teaching a class at Yarns in the Farms during which we'll make this! It's only $45, and includes the pattern and two Saturdays of fun and ice cream from Captain Dusty's right across the street. And let me tell you, Yarns in the Farms is the most comfortable, homey, friendly yarn stores I've ever visited. We're talking couches covered with handknit throws and such. Oh yes. You can see more photos on my right sidebar. Contact Yarns in the Farms to sign up, or just contact them because they're just so fun and have an excellent selection of hard-to-find yarns.

8 comments:

Ivete Tecedor said...

GORGEOUS!! I dream of one day knitting one of these, but I'm afraid all that garter stitch will get me . . . did you find it tedious at all?

Octopus Knits said...

Mermaid is lovely!

Michele said...

knitting in the bar - glad i'm not the only one. you look great in mermaid.

and i need one of those hats. too bad i'm not close enough to come to the class.

Tracy said...

I've been dreaming of knitting a Mermaid for absolute ages. Yours is gorgeous!!

Bambi said...

My daughter in her own mermaid. It does a mom proud. Congratuations! It is lovely.

nicole said...

me wanna, big time!

amazing

Macoco said...

Your Mermaid looks fantastic!!! I came out so well. Congratulations!

Meg said...

Belatedly commenting to say "Bravo!! Formidable!! Tres bien!!!"