Monday, August 4, 2008

Sometimes it's nice to be part of a group. But other times a lonely mitten is appropriate.


I don't tend to do well with knitalongs and knit nights and such; anything that requires a schedule is accompanied by a queasy "work" feeling. However, I've successfully taken part in a group knitting project in the Yarnplayers group on Ravelry! Great success! The project was to design a 13" by 13" square for a blanket and write out the pattern, so that others in the group could make your square and, in the end, have a stash blanket with squares designed by a number of people.

So even though it's not July (was supposed to have this done by end of July), here's my square!

And here's how you make it. Mine used Malabrigo in a dark blue color, about 1/3 of a skein, for the Main Color, and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Fir (just a bit) for the Contrasting Color. Note: YOU NEVER KNIT WITH THE CC. You just weave it through your knitting. It's pretty cool.

Using Size 9 US needles and MC, CO 54 stitches. Work in garter stitch for 2.5".

Begin Woven Pattern:
Row 1: Knit 1 row with MC.
Row 2: With MC, k the first stitch of the row, p until the last stitch, k the last stitch.
Row 3: With CC, slip 1 with yarn in back (sl1wyb), slip 1 with yarn in front (sl1wyf), repeat this sequence to the end of the row.
Row 4: p the first stitch, then sl1wyb, sl1wyf, repeat to end of row.
Rows 5 and 6: Repeat rows 1 and 2.
Row 7: With CC, sl1wyf, sl1wyb, repeat to end of row.
Row 8: p the first stitch, then sl1wyf, sl1wyb, repeat to end of row.

Repeat these 8 rows 3.75 times (I ended after finishing row 6 to get 7 woven stripes, because I like prime numbers) or more, if you like.

Change back to garter stitch and work in MC until piece measures 10" from beginning.

Change to CC and work in garter stitch until piece measures 13" from beginning. Cast off loosely.

TA DA! Add this to blocks of your own design, or other Yarnplayers' blocks, and soon you'll have a blanket that is knit is pieces you can carry with you.

I also made a single mitten for a commission:


From Mostly Mittens, design #13, I believe. Noro Silk Garden Light and something called "Tove" that's sport-weight wool.

Designs are coming along. At least one of them will be up... for free! this fall.

6 comments:

Felicity Ford said...

The mitten is unbelievably beautiful and I really enjoyed your post about inspiration.

The blanket idea is very good... I am also not so good with knit-alongs...

erngrn said...

thats a pretty cute mitten.

A Homely Heroine said...

I like the square, thats a nice technique. Beautiful mitten, looks really snug and I like the pointed tip.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your new designs :)

Oh, I got accepted to George Fox University. It's not Harvard, but it had the program I wanted. Apparently most M. Ed.s are for administrative stuff, but I'm interested in secondary education. Thanks for your comment!

craftivore said...

Holy coooow, that is a good mitten. You are one up on me with the square thing. I've somehow lost my motivation now that my original square is smallish. Plus you used Malabrigo, that will be one dreamy blankie.

nicole said...

Ya, I'm not so good with groups either. Which explains why you haven't heard much from me on the W&P Ravelry group. Oh well...

But OMFG, GREAT mitten!!!