Tuesday, May 11, 2010

48 hours


On the morning of Saturday, May 8, I was pulling hundreds and hundreds of baguettes out of the oven around 8 am.


On the morning of Monday, May 10, I was arriving at NEW New Job and settling in at my "desk" in my new position as Editorial Assistant. Here is the building.


And here is my "desk" area.


You may ask yourself, "how did I get here?"

Don't worry, I'm not done baking. My current job was unsustainable at the pace it was running (look at my pants in the first photo. Those pants fit me perfectly two months ago and on Saturday I had to keep pulling them up); the bakery is going to be sold and under new management, and, when that happens, I can go back if I want.

The day I realized that New Bakery Job was going to kill me, I got a call from a firm that does all manner of editing, a firm where I had interviewed months before but had been told I was an "unusual" candidate who would be difficult, but maybe not impossible, to place.

Well, there was a place for me. I'm working at least through the summer, and then I'll reevaluate.

And if you're wondering if I miss baking, know that I cried while I mixed my last preferment on Saturday morning.

7 comments:

Moan said...

Best of luck in your new position as Editorial Assistant! You'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Yeah...realizing that none of your clothes fit since you started a job is pretty scary. Probably wise to mosey on out of there....

What kind of editing will you be doing? Technical? That's a pretty dramatic and awesome shift.

Mette said...

I have experienced the same. I closed a door, and a new one opened.
Good luck:)

craftivore said...

Congratulations! A desk job will be quite a change, enjoy the air conditioning during the summer.

Salty Miss Jill said...

Wow! Now there'e a change of pace...the least of which would probably be not having to scrape flour off your clothes on a daily basis...
I know you'll be fabulous. Keep us posted!
xoSMJ

craftivore said...

Did you know there's a flickr group called Grellow? I immediately thought of you. http://www.flickr.com/groups/979145@N22/

6toknit4 said...

A fan of your patterns and blog from NJ/US....I wonder if you've heard of Celiac, and as a complete stranger, have been reading your blog and worrying about if your bakery job, is, actually trying to kill you. If you don't think I'm nuts, goggle Celiac symptoms and PM me on Ravelry....6toknit4 (Lucy) Good luck in the new job!