Monday, February 21, 2011

ORANJE!!!!!!! (and hooray democracy)

There's something I've been waiting to share with everyone. The waiting has been difficult.


SURPRISE!!!!!!!

One of my favorite designs ever. And free for you!


On a more serious note.

I know that a lot of people will be looking at my patterns this week, so, after listening to NPR for hours while driving home from New Jersey yesterday, I've decided to donate half the profits from my downloaded patterns (from Craft Work Knit and my individual patterns--found here and here) for the next week to Avaaz, an organization working to "blackout proof" the protests for democracy across the Middle East.

Those of us who live in democratic countries are blessed to have a voice in our government (even if things aren't going the way we like). I'm taking some time to be grateful, and think about those out there brave enough to fight for this right.

Back to the knitting.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne - this is just stunning! I can't decide if I should hold true to the original orange, or if I should attempt a grellow colorwork version... hmm... I can't wait to cast this one on!

knitography said...

Wow, that is an awesome sweater! I love the boldness of the yolk and the button-up turtleneck. Straight into my queue (although I probably won't do it in orange...)!

Karen said...

Stunning! Lovely sweater. Lovely lady. Proud Mom.

Unknown said...

LOVE this sweater! Will order pattern to make the match mitts...

pamela w allen said...

Stunning sweater!

And thank you for pledging to such a worthy organization! Brava!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

You've outdone yourself with that yoke & colors. LOVE it.

Abby said...

The sweater is amazing; it's making my head explode. It makes me want to set aside absolutely everything on my needles and cast on. Thank you so much!

Mary Lou said...

Gorgeous and generous.

Sue (Modern Fibre) said...

Wowzers for Oranje!

Oranje is off the charts gorgeous and inspiring. I too look forward to trying my hand at the many techniques you have included here. I am especially excited about the neck and the striped facings. Thanks for sharing this design for all of us to try. Your pledge to further democracy also inspires. Super cool.

Salty Miss Jill said...

GLORIOUS!!!!
On all possible counts.
Amazing woman!

Alyson said...

I'm pretty convinced that at my rate of knitting that sweater would take me approximately 100 years. How do people knit so fast? I love it though, loved it when I saw it on Knitting and totally missed the fact that it was yours.

teri said...

AH......
So many wonderous things to knit
and such little time!!!

LOVE your style!
Keep em coming, sister!

x-x-x-x-x teri
parkdale, oregon

jsdknits said...

Anne - I love this sweater. You've really outdone yourself.

vulpicula said...

That is amazing! I LOVE IT!
Thank you!

choochooknits said...

Having seen this in person I'm still blown away by the process, pattern and beauty of this sweater. Again - well done!!!

Gina said...

Congratulations! What a gorgeous design!

Laura Sue said...

Agree with all the comments. Love the sweater and am already looking at yarn. I have a question, though. Does a steek really behave itself in superwash yarn? I can't even get ends to stay woven in on my socks.... I think I'll go with a plain wool so it will stick to itself. Maybe even spin up that Shetland fleece I have lying around....

Mrs. Lear said...

This is beautiful - I love the fabric you created using fingering weight wool! I love the high unbuttoned neck! and hooray democracy!