Thursday, September 25, 2008

What are we gonna do now?

A bad day back at work on Tuesday, another sick day on Wednesday, dragging on Thursday, and finally back to something approaching normalcy on Friday... only to have a few drinks, watch the presidential debate, then make the mistake of having a few more drinks out of a growing sense of apprehension and disgust. I could go into detail, but the fact that my household, Chris and I, make far, far under the national average American income while living in one of the most expensive cities in the nation, the fact that I have far more education than anyone really needs but that it was all obtained on scholarship and has not contributed to my current employment or income, the fact that I worked in health care administration for years and witnessed first hand the inequality and discrimination along the lines of wealth and insurance, the fact that both my parents are public school teachers and the research for my Dud's spinal cord injury is all based on stem cells, research that can't take place in this country, you probably know where I stand.

Hair of the dog on Saturday. Note that I am drinking some sort of fruity malt beverage that I would normally consider "stomachache in a bottle" but was rather pleasing yesterday:


The latest knitting project: The home stretch on Lochinver for Chris.

What was formerly a brown tube of various textures now has a nearly-complete sleeve. Hooray!


Gotta love Alice Starmore for the man-sweater perfection. As I wrap this up, think positive thoughts for the country. Or run away. Boy GET RUNNING!!!

5 comments:

nicole said...

The idea of 4 more Republican years sends a chill down this Canadian girl's spine. We are all crossing our fingers that a CHANGE is indeed coming.

On this side of the fence, things are grim too, as we have an election in two weeks that will re-elect our own ultra-religious, right-wing prime minister for a second time. I'm just praying it'll be a minority government again.

Right, let's just foooocuuus on the kniiiiitiiiing........

Anonymous said...

The sweater looks awesome!

Yeah....the debates....if all else fails, we're going to bail out and go to Switzerland or something. Maybe start a career in cheese-making. Wanna come?

Hope you're feeling better...

A Homely Heroine said...

I think most of the world is taking one hell of a deep breath. Lochinver is amazing, I love it!

craftivore said...

Things are very horrifying. I'm going with the head almost buried in the sand approach just the keep on keeping on. I'm hoping that the elections will change something...

The sweater is killah!! The beverages looks gross but fun.

S. said...

I love the sweater - it's sooo beautiful - the different patterns really make it interesting!