Saturday, November 15, 2008

One year in review

Last Wednesday was my one-year anniversary at my current Job, which was actually more emotional than I expected as I joked about it (throughout the year... "look... 4 months!.... 8 months and 3 days!.... In two days it will be 10 months, which is 5/6 of one year!").

I know a lot of you work jobs that don't use your talents, cubicle jobs, "support staff" jobs to pay the bills (barely) and for health insurance. I know I do. When I think about where I "fit" into the world of employment, there is no easy answer, certainly no answer that really makes me happy. But every day we go do it, don't we? How do you do it? Here's me celebrating one year at Bukowski Tavern downtown:


We pulled out the warm blanket this week, and I realized that I've never photographed it. I made it during the cold winter of 2001-2002, the first year of my PhD program, when boxes of Lopi arrived one after another at my tiny apartment and I slept under the blanket on my tiny twin bed as I crocheted it together.
I have two designs coming out very soon, one of which will be available for free, and the other of which will be a download (remember this? I'm making another for a gift in a different size than mine, so I've decided to write out the pattern and make it available here), which explains the low knitting content lately. However, I'm also doing a lot of boring but lovely Holiday knitting, including a Minimalist Cardigan made of Reynolds Soft Sea Wool. What a yarn! A tightly-coiled yarn, springy, so textural, and, for some reason, I've found it super-fast to knit with. This is the second sleeve. I mean, check out that yarn!


Soon much will be revealed. I'm off to work on that!

7 comments:

lisa said...

i love, love, love your blanket!

Aline said...

I too adore your blanket. The many colours are so lovely and I sit here imagining the hours you spent assembling...wow.
Your blog is always fun and I enjoy visiting.

Tink said...

Whooowhooo! Seems like yesterday you started your job! Come see us... We have a class in mind for you... and the TWIST trunk show is coming! YAY!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! And the blanket looks so cozy...

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Salty Miss Jill said...

Mazel tov!
You are a sweetheart and inspiration. :)
Here's to another year (and more) at a job you love.
xoSMJ

Chris Tolomei (alicethelma) said...

I don't fit into the work world. Never have. So I don't work. But I don't know how much longer I can *not* work. Somebody PLEASE buy my t-shirts! whew! thanks for the vent...

Luckily I have health benefits from the state of WA for the time being. The kid and I are managing...but just barely.

Love your everbody knows garter stitch sweater and I'm tempted to make it but I'm so big busted that sweaters don't look so great on me except it's a cardigan and I can usually get away with wearing cardies...