Tuesday, October 23, 2012

White Whale Vol. II

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method."
—Melville, Moby–Dick

It's here. I think it's the best thing I've ever made. But it's not really something I made. We made it.

My sister did the design and layout.


Matt Kish did the illustrations.

Brandy Crist-Travers did the photography (going so far as to squeeze through barbed wire and locked gates to photograph at an undeveloped area on the shore of the Port of Baltimore).

Skein,


Sweet Fiber,


Cephalopod Yarns,


Neighborhood Fiber Co.,

and Dragonfly Fibers


dyed the yarns. HOW DO I KNOW SUCH AMAZING PEOPLE?

Kate at Dragonfly dyed the colors especially for The Line, shown above. They're three gradations of Grellow that we developed when playing around with yellow, gray, and black to create what became Weaverknits Grellow. Kate has created kits for The Line that include the necessary amount of yarn in the three colors here.

But wait, you ask, where can I get this book?

To celebrate the beauty of books, White Whale Vol. II is currently available only in print form. At the end of the month I will partition it into individual pdfs, but right now I'm too attached to the physical book that took so much love to create. If you missed me at Rhinebeck, you can currently purchase it
  • at Vogue Knitting Live in Chicago this weekend from the Neighborhood Fiber Co./Weaverknits booth (!!!);
  • at SAFF this weekend from Dragonfly Fibers and from the Dragonfly Fibers website (just send Kate a message); and
  • from Fibre Space.
It will be available on my website early next week when I get my next shipment. I'll be discussing each of the designs in depth over the course of next week—after editing deadlines; after creating a Weaverknits sign from plywood, stencils, and spraypaint; after Chicago; after many Red Bull–fueled all-nighters.

I can't wait to share more with you . . . but now, to bed!




9 comments:

Noekkeon said...

It looks wonderful! This whale concept really works for you,it's like an art project isn't it?
The story, the colors, the unusual cables, it all comes together.
Congratulations!

kiki said...

i love it - YOU & all the others did a great job!
kiki

Katinka said...

Wow, beautiful patterns and STUNNING photography! Well done!

Amy said...

Exciting news. I loved the sneak peak I got at the Cooperative Press party at Rhinebeck. These will be so fun to knit!

Mary Lou said...

Since I walked to work this morning listening to the chapter in Moby Dick that discussed whales in art, I'd better buy this!

Christiane said...

Congrats! It looks really great and must have been LOTS of work!

I'm looking forward to the presentations of the single designs :-)

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAGHHH! I want to headbang in appreciation of this fine collection. Bravo!

Kathleen Lawton-Trask said...

Hurrah, hurrah! Fabulous news. Must find a way to get a print copy to the UK.

janc said...

Are there any errata? I'm missing something in the chart for the 9-stitch cable cross in Ambergris. Whar are the filled triangles? The picture appears to be yarnover, knit 1, yarnover in the center with a cable decrease on the sides, is that correct? I love the sweater and plan to make some of the other patterns also. Please help. Thanks.