Tuesday, October 16, 2007

NYC Report, Part I: The yarn and knitting

The cats were glad to see me when I returned from a trip to NYC with my mom this weekend. They were so relaxed that they allowed me to pose them with my new yarn and knitting projects. Above is my haul from Habu: some of their soft wool in the approximately 12 epi gauge, some nubbly fine brown wool that they kindly wound double for me, and that golden yellow skein is 2 ounces, approximately 250 yards, of handspun Curricula silk. That is its natural color; it's enchanting.
Here is a new jacket design that I began on the bus ride down. It's made of 2 strands of Evilla Vorgarn held together. Yes, I did order from Wollsucht... I made a BIG order to make shipping worthwhile. I know German, so I didn't have any trouble, but I've heard from others that it is also easy to order in English. If anyone in the Boston area wants to order anything, let me know and perhaps we can make one big order. I'm working from both ends of the round, so the varregation of color is subtle. The pattern will be very simple and clean, since the yarn itself is the focus.

Finally, I began the Waterfall Socks from my Woolgirl Sock Club membership. The yarn and design are from Miss Babs, and WOW, is this yarn squooshy. I've used many, many hand-dyed sock yarns, and this one is a standout.
Tomorrow: NYC Report, Part II: What Mom and I did for fun.

5 comments:

Purl said...

Love the yarn!

nicole said...

mmm....

Michele said...

your jacket start looks great - looking forward to seeing it as it progresses.

and wow that yellow yarn from habu is close to the color i just got. amazing.

Bambi said...

I think the cats steal the show!

Macoco said...

Oooh the Evilla Vorgarn yarn is so beautiful. I hadn't seen any of it before and yours is so nice. It looks very soft too.