This weekend I finished something about which I am so proud but which I must keep secret for a while. SO, I'm going to take choochoo knits up on her tag and post 7 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME. As anyone who has spent any time with me knows, I have a life filled with random choices and, well, instability of all kinds, so here goes!
1. I am a very thin person naturally, and used to cover it up in baggy goth clothing. When I was 18 and a freshman in college, I started weight training. With the help of my Dud and an ex-marine friend I had in college, as well as this website, I've put on a lot of muscle. I use free weights and can do pushups like a guy.
2. Though I love a good dark beer, my favorite drink is a Rusty Nail -- that's half scotch and half Drambuie. For those of you who have not had one, oh, you're missing out. Nicole, you know. Oh yeah. Chris disagrees and finds them the most vile of libations. When I pour one for myself and bring it to bed, he wakes up due to the smell and is not pleased.
3. When I was younger I was terrified of garbage trucks and the car wash. There were tears and screams of terror involved. I was also afraid of being constipated. No lie.
4. I went to Harvard for six years of graduate school and earned two Master's degrees. The first is in Scripture and Interpretation. The second is in Assyriology. I decided not to finish my PhD in Assyriology and now work as an administrator. If you Google "Ann Weaver Assyriology" you'll find that I spoke in London at a large conference a few years ago. 4a. I have not only published knitting patterns (online), I have also published an article on a cuneiform text called the "Sin of Sargon" in a volume published after this conference.
5. Though I am an academic in many senses, my tastes are not in any way limited by this. I purchased a copy of Ulysses when I was dating another academic who made me feel stupid for not having read it, flipped through it, and decided it was just too much work. I will never read Ulysses. Yeah, I like to read, and I don't read those books off the pink "chick lit" table, but come on. You can't live on art films and Joyce alone. I need some George Romero and Rock of Love II as well.
6. I am very friendly, but am probably one of the most introverted people out there. I don't like social situations that involve more than 4 or 5 people that I know well. When anyone meets me they would never guess this.
7. Chris and I have two white cats, Henry Chinaski and Max, but we're really dog people who can't wait to get a fenced in yard so we can have a puppy. We've decided on a Boston Terrier. When we adopted the cats from the Animal Rescue League, we made sure they both got along with dogs because we've always (together and separately before we met) wanted one. Here they are: Max is content to just sit by my running shoes, and Chinaski just CANNOT HOLD STILL.
So that's that. I hope you've enjoyed. I'm going to tag a few people tomorrow and I PROMISE I'll have some knitting soon.
Whoa, hey, just realized the blog hit its one year anniversary on January 24. Next post will include a contest and the prize will be something from my Yarn Room. Yes, Yarn Room. Yes, it is full and has started to seep into other rooms.