Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A bizarre yet happy surprise

My postman brought me a huge box the other day, something my parents had been hinting at giddily. This is what was inside:

So that's 5 pounds of roving, ready to spin, as well as a small fleece in the white plastic bag. Ann, my parents' neighbor , was recently in New Zealand, visited a farm, and came back with this. When my mom swooned over it and told Ann how crazy I would go for something like this, she said, "Oh, let's send it to her!"

Obviously I owe this wonderful lady something handknit. Here's another shot, with newly-pedicured feet for scale:


I'm not going to process the fleece myself... there are only so many hours in the day. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could send it to have it made into roving? I really love the chocolate color.

I promise many lovely finished object shots in the future... I've been hoarding a lot of big stuff, new designs and such. Here is my little knits competition scarf, 9 feet of grey lace with a little yellow trim, waiting for my blocking wires to arrive from KnitPicks to finish it off and send it out. I'll give an update when pictures are up at the little knits site!

8 comments:

knitography said...

Wow, lucky knitter! That chocolate colour is truly gorgeous. I always find it difficult to find the right shade of brown - the ones I come across are never 'chocolatey' enough.

Macoco said...

The grey/yellow combo is great I can't wait to see it blocked.

Aline said...

Hi! As for sending your fleece 'away', you may have a spinner's Guild where you could use their equipment to card your wool or someone there might offer to help you out. I have discovered that mills require a minimum of lbs to process an order. A friendly spinner with some gear might be your best bet, good luck!

craftivore said...

Love the yellow and grey combo lace. Does that qualify a grellow?

Anonymous said...

eeee! It's like they sent you a whole SHEEP!

Heather said...

How cool! (I know I am a few days okay, weeks late....but) I get all of my stuff processed at Zelingers. www.zwool.com They are awesome, quick about getting it back to you and they, well just rock....LOL!

Katey said...

I don't know where you are located but I used to work at a lovely mill in Montana. www.lambandwool.com They do custom processing of small batches for roving and use a solar hot water heating system to heat their wash water. It's on a lovely organic sheep ranch in southwestern Montana.

Jennifer said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to respond to your question regarding processing the fleece. Green Mountain Spinnery in Putney, VT will process smaller fleeces. I understand that many mills will only take larger orders.