Saturday, July 14, 2007

Yes, that's the left front of Mermaid ON A BIKE!


And I'm on my NEW Trek 1000 road bike! Making the shift from basic city/hybrid to road bike is like magic. I feel so fast and comfortable with rolling terrain. Though I didn't give much credence to the idea of the "women's bikes," once I rode this one, which IS a women's model, and then rode the step-up model, which only comes in a men's frame, I was THRILLED at how the women's model worked with my build. In particular, the handlebars are narrower, meaning that my arms stay closer to my body as I ride. It's SO comfotable.

I do feel like a superhero!
Here I demonstrate how LIGHT my new bike is. This is right outside Ace Wheelworks, where I purchased it, and it's cool to see the people behind me, who were also looking at bikes.
Notes on Mermaid: the body is constructed from side to side, from left front to right front, in one piece. You can see one taking shape well at Arja's blog. She's also knitting at hers during the Tour (but she seems distracted by socks and actual bike riding! I can't criticize her, though... she's a lot further on her Mermaid that I am!). I don't find the pattern to be very difficult; the directions are terse but clear. Though it's all garter stitch, this is not a beginner's project. It requires a good understanding of shaping, short rows, and edgings; also, it's just really, really time consuming. So, in sum, I think the pattern is ingenious, lovely, well-written, but daunting due to size and detail. Nice for someone with good basic skills who's a pretty fast knitter and is willing to put the time in.

Time to get back to the knitting! Follow the Tour de France and the intrepid knitters challenging themselves over these three weeks HERE.

9 comments:

Bambi said...

The mermaid is coming along so well. Thanks for sharing Arja's as well--to see where this all is going. It is such a lovely, slimming pattern. And the BIKE..many adventures ahead for you. Will this slow the mermaid?

weaverknits said...

Hey bambi...
You know that if it's too big for me, it goes to you!

Janet said...

Enjoy your new bike. Reading your blog lead me to checking out WheelWorks - and I found that WheelWorks Belmont is located in my hometown. My father bought me my first bike in 1947 - was I ever proud of that red bike. What freedom to ride to Cushing Square.

Anonymous said...

through the Hanne Falkenberg KAL list I got a spreadsheet for Mermaid, that describes what to do in every row. works fantastic.

did you knit any other HF patterns? I made Diva before I started Mermaid, she is done but still in her bag waiting to be sewn up.

nicole said...

Cool bike, cool sweater, cool that you're competing in the green jersey competition. I would have loved to join the Tour de France knitalong, as I'm totally obsessed with the Tour (who are you rooting for this year?) and watch it every night religiously. But I'm leaving for vacation in a couple of days and will miss the last week and a half, so I didn't join the KAL this year. Definitely next year though. So go on girl, make us proud and aim for that podium!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your new bike! Mermaid is looking great already!

m. said...

I was also nervous about all the "women specific" hype when I bought my first road bike - but my Specialized Dolce is a freaking dream. :)

Enjoy!

Ang said...

ooooooh nice bike!

The Mermaid is coming along nicely too.

Macoco said...

You've made some serious progress there! I love the superhero picture.