Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wii

The latest finished object, a commission from my sister. It will be a birthday present for one of her friends. Do I own a Wii? Nope. Do I know what one does? Well, a little more than before, after looking at the Wii homepage to get a sense of the logo's form. What's important is that I have created a meaningful present for both giver and receiver. Shots of the recipient will be coming at the end of June, for now, here's me wearing it, after it has been washed in the machine and dried in the dryer (low heat).

It's made of less than 1 ball of white Lion Cotton Ease, with some Knitpicks Wool of the Andes Fog embroidery, which felted a bit when washed and looks great that way.

Oh, and another thing. Sometimes those of us who have been knitting for a while and have done a lot and generally seem to have the basics of the thing down, well, we have total disasters, too. Disasters that could have been prevented with just a little bit of planning. Like washing and drying a gauge swatch, something I really always do, except this time.

I made a hat that fit slightly loosely, but fit. Then I washed it. And dried it. Just like its owner will.


Wash and dry your gauge swatch. Gauge knows when you're getting a little too complacent and maybe a little big for your boots. It will find you, and when it does, it will be as ridiculous as what you see here.

4 comments:

nicole said...

Wait, let me get this right. It got BIGGER after you washed and dried it??? I've heard of stitches blooming, but this is a new one for me. Did you accidentally pop a valium into the water? Those stitches are seriously relaxed!

Sorry to find glee in your misfortune, but I laughed my head off when I scrolled down. Your expression is priceless.

Rayne said...

Yikes! I forget that cotton tends to stretch and skew when washed.

Macoco said...

Whoah! Unfortunately, I've had that happen too.

Jessica Polka said...

A Wii hat - what a super idea. My poor boyfriend may be getting one of these from me instead of the real thing!