Sunday, February 4, 2007

Unemployment


lets the mind wander where it will, and, with the right attitude, fosters creativity. Between interviews and applications and such, the following original projects came about. To the left, a photo of two what I've named "Tripe" shawls hanging from our railing. Yarns: Rowan Kidsilk Haze, 1 skein, and Colinette Tagliatelli, 1 skein. On the left, "Marmalade" and "Sahara," on the right, "Hurricane" and "Kingfisher." Both were commissioned by my mom, after seeing the original version I created for Beth for Christmas.

Bartering for goods and services when one has no steady income is productive: witness the "Kay" mittens, knit in exchange for an hour-long massage. Only 1 ball of Cascade 220 Superwash in Kay's favorite color and a couple hours of knitting produced lovely, leaf-like results in Kay's favorite color. I can write up a pattern if there's any interest.

Over the next week I anticipate some Friday Harbor socks from "Knitting on the Road" for another recipient, as well as a completed Sea Silk Clapotis for myself. I haven't seen one in Sea Silk posted anywhere; I recommend the yarn for the sheen and drape, but not for the fact that its slippiness forced me to proceed very, very carefully to avoid dropped stitches. This makes such a big boring project much, much more time-consuming. Would I make another Clapotis again? Yes. In Sea Silk? Not for a year or two.

No comments: