Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Self maintenance and yarn from around the world (Garne aus der Welt)

Me, in Baltimore two weeks ago. I call this photo "hair woes."

While in the Beltway area I did some modeling for an upcoming knitting book, and the day before the shoot I realized I should send a photo of the current hair situation to the photographer and editor so that they could avoid wasting their time and money on me. They assured me it would be fine. The few photos I got to see confirmed that they were right.

Imagine how bad that got after another two weeks.

I took some time out of my crazy schedule for a haircut. Ta da!


The concept is "skate punk." I like it. The sides are a completely different color from the top because I'm too broke to afford a dye job, but from a distance it looks like one color because the values of the two colors are so similar. I'm using it as an example in my color theory classes.

In the meantime, beautiful yarn from around the world has been arriving at my house.

Above are three different yarns from Zauberwiese, a German dyer. I discovered Alexandra's yarns through Christiane, who is using some Zauberwise Falkland (I believe) for a Whiteness of the Whale sweater. I waited patiently for the next update and got these lovely colors—I picked the two on the right (OBVIOUSLY my type of colors: Falkland merino superwash sock yarn in the middle in Glueckstanz and 75% merino/25% acrylic sock yarn on the far right in Fruchtcocktail), and Alexandra included the skein on the left, which is a luxurious merino/cashmere/nylon blend) as a gift. I have design plans for all of them—a shawl and hat for the softer blends, and some durable fingerless mitts from the synthetic blend.

Thrilled with the yarn, the colors, and the friendliness of everyone on the Zauberwiese board on Ravelry, I decided I would travel to the Zauberwiese meet-up in Freiburg in May, where I can practice my German, teach an Albers Cowl class, visit German yarn shops, do some hiking, and make new friends. And buy at least one sweater worth of Zauberweise.

Ich freue mich aus die Garne, die Farben, und die Freundlichkeit der Zauberwiese-Strikkeren an Ravelry, ich entscheide ueber eine Reise nach der Zauberwiese Treffen im Freiburg in Mai zu machen. Ich wird meine Deutsche ueben, ein Albers Cowl Workshop lehren, Deutsche Garn Ladens besuchen, Wanderungen machen, und neues Freunden machen. Und auch genug Zauberweise Garn fuer ein Pulli kaufen.

Whew!

Next post: The crossfit experience and yarn from Canada.

5 comments:

Thea said...

Hey, if you're using that haircut in class, you know it's tax deductible! ;-)

meppybn said...

Love your haircut!!! and much better to save for Germany than get your hair coloured :) :)

Unknown said...

Ich liebe die Garne von Zauberwiese, und Frau Zauberwiese dazu !!!
Du wirst sicher viel Freude auf dem Treffen haben!

I love the yarn of Zauberwiese and the great Misses "Magic Meadow" too ... I'm sure you will enjoy the Meet-up!

Best regards from a german follower
Mneme

MorningSprite said...

Germany! So awesome!

Stephanie said...

I don't know German, but the yarn looks great and it sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! (sjn821 on Rav)